Homelessness - emergency accommodation and advice
Advice about homelessness
We offer support and help whether you're homeless or worried about becoming homeless.
If you're homeless or threatened with homelessness, we can help. We'll always try to prevent you from becoming homeless in the first instance.
There are lots of services to help you to stay in your current home, including help with tenancy issues or relationship breakdowns.
If staying in your current home isn't an option, we can help you look for a new home or other alternatives.
We also offer services to help if you're experiencing domestic abuse.
Ask for help with homelessness
Eligibility for emergency accommodation
We can only assess your application for help if you are eligible for assistance. For example, if you are not entitled to welfare benefits because of your immigration status, we can only provide advice on your situation.
We will consider:
- Is there anywhere that you are legally entitled to occupy?
- If there is, can you actually gain entry to it?
- If your home is a caravan, houseboat or other mobile form of housing, is there anywhere you are entitled to park it and live in it?
- Would you be at risk of domestic or other violence if you continued to occupy the home?
- Is there any other strong reason why it would not be reasonable for you to continue to occupy the home?
You are not intentionally homeless if the housing you left was not reasonable to occupy, or you were at risk of violence in the home. You are also not intentionally homeless if you acted in good faith while unaware of a relevant fact.
If your homelessness has resulted from your behaviour, we only have to provide you with temporary accommodation for a short period depending on your circumstances.
Contact the housing team
- Phone the Housing Options Team on 01594 810000
- Phone the out of hours emergency service 01452 614194
- Email the Housing team
Housing Options drop in service at the council offices
The Housing options drop in service at the council offices is open at the following times: (Please note that these times may change at short notice depending on cover – please telephone us beforehand on 01594 810000)
- Monday 10am - 11am
- Tuesday 2.30pm - 3.30pm
- Wednesday 2.30pm - 3.30pm
- Thursday 10am - 11am
To book an appointment please contact the Housing Options Team on:
- 01594 810000.
The Council offices are open:
- Monday to Thursday 9am to 4.45pm
- Friday 9am to 4.30pm