Food safety regulations
Due to Coronavirus many of our food businesses may wish to diversify and offer collection, delivery or takeaway services. Please read our leaflet and contact us on email@example.com if you need further advice or information.
To register your premises to serve or sell food or drink whether or not the premises operate commercially, please visit the:
How the EU food regulation affects you depends on the size and type of your business. The three basic EU food hygiene regulations are:
- Regulation (EC) 852/2004 - covers the hygiene of foodstuffs
- Regulation (EC) 853/2004 - covers specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin
- Regulation (EC) 854/2004 - covers specific rules for the organisation of official controls on products of animal origin intended for human consumption
For information about the other legal requirements and regulations please see:
Food hygiene training
All food handling staff must have adequate training, or be instructed and supervised to ensure that food is handled safely. In most cases Level 2 Food Safety qualifications are sufficient but supervisors and managers should aim for Level 3.
We offer online Level 2 training courses for £35 per person. For details on how to apply:
- download the online food hygiene course application form
The person responsible for developing and maintaining the food safety management system must have adequate training in the application of the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles. This may be through experience and previous knowledge or a Level 2 course in HACCP.
Please see the following for details of training:
Food safety management system
Every food business operator must take a risk-based approach towards food safety and implement a food safety management system. This should be based on the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP). For further advice please visit:
Safer food, better business packs
The Food Standards Agency has developed the safer food, better business pack. The following packs are available to download. The catering pack and diary sheets are available to purchase from Customer Services
- Chinese cuisine
- Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan cuisine
- Diary sheets for the safer food better business packs
The Safer Food, Better Business pack will help you to:
- meet the regulations
- show what you do to make food safely
- train staff
- protect your business' reputation
- improve your business, for example by wasting less food.
Food allergies and intolerances
For advice on food allergies and intolerances please see:
- Food Standards Agency - guidance for businesses on food allergies and intolerances
- Chef's allergen menu matrix
- Food allergies and intolerances notice
Food safety and hygiene inspections
If you want to appeal the results of your inspection, please visit:
- Food Standards Agency - how to make an appeal
Food Service Plan
We operate in line with our Food Service Plan.