Private hire operator licences
- You must operate your business at an address within the Forest of Dean District Council area.
Apply for private hire operator licence
- Complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
From 1 April 2018 all licence holders are required to sign up to the Online Update Service with the DBS so that the check remains active. A reference number must be provided to the licensing team to record on file. If the licence holder fails to sign up to this service on renewal of their DBS (or issue for new applicants), the licence will be suspended. Please see the DBS website using the following link for further details:
Apply for a DBS check
Please note: if you are a licensed driver, or applying to be, and you intend to operate private hire vehicles you are not required to complete an additional DBS check.
- Select: Disclosure and barring service (DBS) application
- Enter the following details:
- Organisation reference: COTSWOLD
- Password: council
To process your application, you must bring 3 forms of identification to the Council offices to be checked by a member of reception. Applicants who hold a valid passport and drivers licence must present these as 2 of their 3 forms of ID. For a full list of ID that is allowed for a DBS check please:
If you have any previous cautions or convictions, these will need to be determined by a Licensing Sub-Committee. Please refer to our policy on convictions for more information.
Apply for a private hire operator licence
Once your DBS has been carried out (if required), please return your completed application form and fee of £100 for 1 year, or £400 for 5 years by:
- email (pay by phone) to the ERS Team
- post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Forest of Dean District Council, High Street, Coleford, GL16 8HG
Your licence will be processed within 5 working days.
Renew an operator licence
Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:
- download the private hire operator licence application form
- make sure you return the form to the Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.
Immigration Act 2016 - proof of right to work
From 1 December 2016, applicants will be required to prove that they have the right to work within the UK. We will call to book a 10 minute face to face interview to check your right to work in the UK. You will need to bring in original documents for this check, please view the list of suitable ID below:
- the list of valid ID documents
- If you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to bring in a form of ID from List A.
- If you have a period of 'leave' you will need to bring in a form of ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2 depending on which group applies to you.
This check is only needed once and, if you have the right to work, won't be required for future renewals. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we will need to check each time the licence is renewed. We will keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.