Household waste & recycling centres (tips)
All household waste recycling centres are currently closed until further notice on Government advice.
You can take household recycling and rubbish to a household recycling centre (HRC) provided by Gloucestershire County Council. The HRC is for household waste and recycling only; it is illegal for a business or commercial operation to use any HRC site in Gloucestershire.
Oak Quarry Household Recycling Centre:
- Located one mile north east of Coleford on the B4226, half a mile after Broadwell crossroads (GL16 7EG)
- Open Wednesday through to Monday (closed every Tuesday)
- The site will be closed on Christmas Day (25 December), Boxing Day (26 December) and New Year’s Day (1 January)
- Opening times:
- Summer Opening Times - British Summer Time (9am-5pm)
- Winter Opening Times - Greenwich Mean Time (10am-4pm)
- Last entry is 15 minutes before closing time.
If you live in the north of the district and use Hempsted HRC instead of Oak Quarry, please note that this site is closed every Thursday.
For further details about the site and locations of alternative HRCs please visit the:
- Recycle for Gloucestershire website
- or call: 0845 602 9344
The site accepts a whole range of items and materials for recycling including: light bulbs, oil, large and small electrical items, scrap metal, gas bottles and chemicals.
If you are taking garden waste to the HRC, please ensure that trees/large branches are reduced to sections no longer than 6ft/1.8m in length. Sections longer than this can block the compactor. Please do not take garden wheeled bins to the site for emptying as the site staff will not be able to help you lift these.
Van and trailers
If you intend to take a van, pick-up or trailer larger than 6ft x 4ft, you will need to book an appointment in advance, giving at least 24 hours notice.
Proof of residency will be required.
Site staff are available to assist you but if you are bringing heavy or awkward items, please consider bringing someone along to help you.