rating button

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, what you can do to protect yourself, support your community and guidance to assist employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Housing Benefit information for landlords

Low income households can get additional financial help to assist with paying tier rent through Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. Individual circumstances will determine which benefit they are eligible to claim. For more information see:

When applying for Housing Benefit the applicant is asked whether information can be shared with their landlord. If they agree we may be able to tell you how much they are being given to help with rent payments.

If your tenant is behind with their rent payments

In some circumstances payments can be made directly to the landlord. We are required to pay direct to landlords if the tenant:

  • has built up eight weeks or more in rent arrears
  • is having deductions taken from their Income Support (IS)/Jobseeker's Allowance(JSA) to pay rent arrears.

We also have the discretion to pay direct to the landlord if we think that the tenant:

  • is likely to have difficulty managing their affairs ie tenant has a learning disorder or drug/alcohol problem
  • is unlikely to pay their rent ie we are aware the tenant hasn't paid their rent in the past without good reason.

If your tenant has missed rent payments, contact us immediately using the details below to prevent the tenant building up any more debt. For more information about when we will pay directly to landlords please download our safeguard policy.


Sometimes overpayments are unavoidable, but you can stop them happening by telling us when your tenant’s circumstances change.