rating button

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, what you can do to protect yourself, support your community and guidance to assist employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Council Tax exemptions & discounts

We are able to reduce your Council Tax bill in some circumstances. Please see below for details of possible Council tax discounts.

Single Person Discount (SPD) and other exemptions

A full Council Tax bill assumes that there are at least two adults using the property as their sole or main residence. If only one adult lives in the property we reduce your bill by 25%, known as a Single Person Discount (SPD).

You can apply for a single person discount by completing and returning the:

When calculating your bill we don't count certain people. These include:

  • Full time students
  • Apprentices
  • Student nurses
  • School or college leavers under 20 but over 18 still receiving child benefit
  • People who care for an elderly or disabled person who lives with them
  • People who are severely mentally impaired, including those suffering with Dementia, Alzheimers etc.
  • Members of religious communities
  • People in detention
  • Foreign diplomats
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually charities
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • People who now permanently live in hospital

Council Tax reductions for disabled people and carers

If your property is the main residence of someone who is disabled you may be able to get a reduction to your Council Tax. If you are entitled, your band will be reduced to the one below that set by the Valuation Office Agency. So if your property is in Band D you will be charged Council Tax for a Band C property. If you live in a Band A property you get a discount of one sixth. 

To get the reduction the property must be both the sole or main residence of someone who is substantially and permanently disabled by:

  • illness
  • injury
  • congenital deformity or otherwise

and have one of the following:

  • a room which is mainly used to meet the needs of the disabled person (not a kitchen, lavatory or bathroom). For example a room used for therapy
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen which are used to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • enough floor space to allow for the use of a wheelchair inside the home and the disabled person uses a wheelchair in the home.

To apply for these Council tax reductions please:

Exemption for people now living in hospital or a care home

If a person's home is left empty as a result of them permanently living in a hospital or care home, and they remain the liable person for council tax purposes, they may be entitled to an exemption from council tax. If they return home between treatments it does not qualify as permanent.

Apply for a reduction in your Council Tax

Application forms for Council tax reduction

Report a change in circumstances

If you are claiming a discount and your circumstances change you must inform us of the changes immediately. If you don't let us know it may mean that your charge will be backdated to the date of the change and an instalment facility not given.