Council Tax support
You could be eligible for help with your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income or claim benefits. The help you could receive will depend on:
- your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
- your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you
Apply for Council Tax support
Please check you have provided the evidence required as your application cannot be processed without it. The evidence checklist is on page 27 of the form.
Apply for Council Tax support if you are receiving Universal Credit
If you are claiming Universal Credit you can claim Council Tax Support using the following claim form:
Please check the evidence checklist on the back of the form.
We understand it will take several weeks before your Universal Credit claim is decided and will attempt to process your claim based on your current circumstances and amend it later when your Universal Credit award is decided.
We aim to decide complete applications within 14 days. If we need further information to support your claim we will contact you, please ensure we have a contact number on your claim form. This will speed up the processing of your claim.
We will let you know when your claim has been assessed.
Backdating a claim
If you haven't been able to apply for benefits immediately we may be able to backdate your application - for more details please see:
Second Adult Rebate
Second Adult Rebate is for single people who pay Council Tax but share their home with another adult aged 18 or over who is on a low income and does not pay rent.
If you wish to claim this rebate then the person or people sharing your home must not be:
- Your partner (married or unmarried)
- Under 18
- Paying rent
- Liable for the Council Tax
- A joint owner or joint tenant
- Already disregarded for a discount on your Council Tax bill; for example you must not be getting a student discount of 25%
If you fit these circumstances you will need to fill in a Second Adult Rebate application form and return with the information listed on the form.