rating button

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, what you can do to protect yourself, support your community and guidance to assist employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Noise & other nuisances

Noise and nuisance problems that the Council cannot deal with:

Noise and nuisance problems that may be considered:

  • The state of premises
  • Smoke (including smoke from bonfires)
  • Fumes/gases
  • Dust, steam, or smells from business premises
  • Accumulations or deposits
  • Animals
  • Noise (including noise from parked car alarms and stationary machines in the street)
  • Artificial lighting
  • Insects from business premises

We can investigate these issues where the disturbance is severe, and take formal action when the issue cannot be resolved.

Contact the source of the noise or nuisance

Go directly to the person causing the problem; tell them that you are being disturbed.

If this doesn't work you can make a complaint to the Council or take the matter to a Magistrates' court yourself.

Complain about a noise or nuisance through the council

You will need to complete a log of the incidents for 3 weeks:

Once you have returned the log it will be assessed by a case officer, if we considered it is severe enough we will take the following steps:

  • Advise the person causing the problem that a complaint has been made.
  • Monitor the problem.
  • An officer will make visits to you or set up specialist noise recording equipment in your property that you will have to operate.

If there is enough evidence the council will take formal action to stop the problem. You will need to support this action.