rating button

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, what you can do to protect yourself, support your community and guidance to assist employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Unauthorised building work

If you have carried out building work without applying for Building Regulations then the work is unauthorised and can cause problems when you try and sell the property.

It may be possible to make a retrospective application for building regulations called a Regularisation application. If the Regularisation is completed satisfactorily we will remove the contravention from the Council's property records.

Apply for a regularisation certificate

Please download and fill in the:

You will need to provide the following:

  • full details and plans showing the work that was carried out
  • payment - for a personalised quotation please contact one of our officers on 01594 812315.

The regularisation certificate process

Regularisation applications for work carried out after 11 November 1985 can be a lengthy process, especially if extensive work is required to bring a building back up to standard.

The process is:

  • you send in the application and detailed plans
  • we may need you to open up and uncover the work so that it can be inspected and checked by the building control surveyor
  • if the work is satisfactory a Regularisation Certificate will be issued.