Caravan and campsites
To run a caravan or camping site within the Forest of Dean district you may need a licence from us.
There are three types of licence:
- Touring site
Planning permission is required before this licence can be applied for.
The purpose of the licence is to protect the health, safety and welfare of caravan occupants and to address issues such as fire safety, electrical safety, drainage, adequate amenities and a wholesome water supply.
You can be fined up to £2,500 for permitting any part of your land to be used as a caravan site without holding a site licence.
You don’t need a licence for:
- A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling, provided the caravan is not occupied separately.
- A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
- Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
- Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
- Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation which are for members only.
- Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
- Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies run by exempted organisations, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
- A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 42 days consecutively or 60 days in a 12 month period. (Planning consent is required for use of land on more than 28 days.
Relevant protected site fees
|All||Up to 10 Units||11 to 30 Units||31 to 50||Over 51 Units|
|Existing Residential Mobile Home Site Up Until 31 October 2014||£106|
|Application Fee after 31 October 2014||N/A||£196.63||£241.61||£265.16||£287.95|
|Annual Inspection Fee||N/A||£126.63||£171.63||£195.16||£217.95|
|Deposit of Site Rules||£50||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Change of Site Rules||£35||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Transfer of a Site Licence||£48||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Application to Change Site Licence Conditions||£129||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Apply to run a caravan or camp siteApply to run a caravan site or camp site Make a change to your caravan or campsite
Details of the licensing conditions:
Register of caravan and campsites
View the list of current licensed sites: