Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Business and licensing
  3. Apply or renew business licences and permits
  4. Caravan and campsites

Caravan and campsites

To run a caravan or camping site within the Forest of Dean district you may need a licence from us.

There are three types of licence:

  • Residential
  • Holiday
  • Touring site

Planning permission is required before this licence can be applied for.

The purpose of the licence is to protect the health, safety and welfare of caravan occupants and to address issues such as fire safety, electrical safety, drainage, adequate amenities and a wholesome water supply.

You can be fined up to £2,500 for permitting any part of your land to be used as a caravan site without holding a site licence.

Fit and Proper Person Test

New requirements mean The Manager of a Residential site is required to pass a Fit and Proper Person assessment. The mobile home owner or the person appointed to manage the site must apply to the Council by 30 September 2021.

Apply for a fit and proper person assessment 

Please email your application to or post to ERS, Council Offices, High Street, Coleford, Glos, GL16 8HG.

You are required to submit a DBS certificate for each manager.

We’ll only accept your DBS certificate if it’s less than 30 days old. Further guidance is available from website

You don’t need a licence for:

  • A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling, provided the caravan is not occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies run by exempted organisations, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 42 days consecutively or 60 days in a 12 month period. (Planning consent is required for use of land on more than 28 days.

Relevant protected site fees

Residential Mobile Home Sites Year 2023 to 2024

Application Fee


Up to 10 units


11 to 30 units


31 to 50 units


Over 50 units



Annual Inspection Fee for existing site licence


Up to 10 units


11 to 30 units


31 to 50 units


Over 50 units



Other Fees


Transfer/amendment of existing site licence


Change of Site Rules


Deposit of Site Rules


Application to change Site License Conditions


Apply to run a caravan or camp site

Apply to run a caravan site or camp site Make a change to your caravan or campsite

License conditions

Details of the licensing conditions:

Register of caravan and campsites

View the list of current licensed sites: