rating button
Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Our reception and offices are closed to visitors and a lot of our staff are homeworking. We can still help with your enquiry, contact us by email or phone and report issues using our online forms.

  1. Home
  2. Business and licensing
  3. Apply or renew business licences and permits
  4. Scrap metal

Scrap metal

You need a licence to buy and sell scrap metal.

Types of scrap metal licence

  • A site collectors licence allows you to buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the council area.
  • A collector’s licence allows you to travel within the council area to collect scrap metal. You may not take this metal back to a site that you run within the council area in order to sell it.

Apply for a scrap metal licence

Before you apply you'll need a Basic Disclosure certificate from DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) for yourself and any person listed on the application, including the site manager (if applying for a site licence), each partner if a partnership, and, if a company, for the director(s), company secretary and shadow director.

When assessing applicants, partnerships or a company's suitability to hold a scrap metal dealer's licence, we will check each Basic Disclosure certificate against the list of convictions for relevant offences. Having a conviction for a relevant offence may not automatically prevent you from having a licence.

The licence lasts for three years.

Apply for a Basic Disclosure Certificate Apply to change a scrap metal licence

Fees for scrap metal licences

Scrap metal licence type  Fee

Scrap metal licence (Site)

Scrap metal licence (Collector)



Renewal (Site)

Renewal (Collector)



Variation (including change of site manager)  £64
Variation (other)  £64