Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Environment
  3. Landscape and grounds maintenance
  4. High hedges

High hedges

Choosing the wrong hedge plants may bring problems in the future. Allowing a hedge to grow too tall be difficult to maintain and cause excessive shade to neighbouring properties affecting their reasonable enjoyment of the property.

Making a complaint

You must try all methods to settle a dispute about a high hedge, including independent mediation, before we can intervene.

We can help under the Antisocial Behaviour Act 2003 Part 8, if the problem involve, two or more mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs which are:

  • over two metres tall
  • affecting your enjoyment of your home or garden because they are too tall

For a complaint form and guidance leaflets call us on 01594 812331 or 01594 812329.

There is a non-refundable fee of £500, with a 50 per cent reduction if you are a state pensioner, registered disabled or on state benefit.

What happens next

After we have acknowledged your form as a valid high hedge complaint we will:

  • make a site visit
  • assess the impact of the hedge
  • decide whether work needs to be done to the hedge.

Where works are required, a remedial notice will be issued specifying what needs to done. This notice will cover the present problem and issues of re-growth and yearly maintenance.

The notice can be amended in certain circumstances and can also be appealed against by the recipient, the complainant or the landowner (if different).