rating button
Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. About the council
  3. Having your say
  4. Comments and complaints

Comments and complaints

We want to provide our customers with the best possible service. To help us improve and enhance our services we would like you to share your views and experiences with us.

Let us know

We’d love for you to let us know about something we’ve done well or if you have a suggestion for us.

Make a comment Give a compliment

You can also give us a call or let us know in person if you come to our offices.

We also want to make it as easy as possible for you to let us know when things have gone right or wrong, so if you have a specific need let us know. We’ll happily provide this information in a different format, for example in a different language, large print or braille.

If things do go wrong

If something does go wrong we need you to tell us about it when it happens.  We learn from our mistakes and want to put things right; quickly.  So when you tell us what went wrong we’ll ask you to tell us how we can put things right too.

We’ll consider your complaint if you tell us about it within 12 months of it happening.

Make a complaint

You can also call us on 01594 810000, let your councillor know, fill in a feedback form at our reception desk (our staff will be happy to help you), write to us at: Forest of Dean District Council, Council Offices, High Street, Coleford, GL16 8HG, or visit us in person.

If you decide to come into our offices to make a complaint in person, we’ll accept this and pass it to the relevant service area, we won’t ask you to put it in writing.

What will happen next?

Stage 1

We’ll acknowledge your complaint within two working days and the service area will take the time to understand what went wrong. We’ll give you a full response within ten working days. If for any reason we can’t do this we’ll keep you updated to let you know what’s happening.

Stage 2

If you’re still not happy after our Stage 1 response, we’ll refer your complaint to a Senior Manager for an independent investigation. Again, we’ll aim to issue a final response within ten working days, but we’ll keep you updated to let you know our expected response time if this isn’t possible.

Local Government Ombudsman

In the unlikely event that we’re unable to resolve your complaint at Stage 2, then you can refer your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. We’ll provide information on how to do this in our final response, and details can be found on the LGO website.


If you suspect fraudulent activity at the district council you should report it. Below you can download the district council’s policy and leaflet on whistleblowing.