Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Council Tax and benefits
  3. Housing Benefit and Universal Credit
  4. Appeal a benefit decision

Appeal a benefit decision

When we receive your completed application we will calculate your benefit and send you a decision letter.

If you disagree with our decision you can ask for an explanation of how the decision was made. This must be done in one month of receiving the decision letter

After a month we will explain the decision to you but we may not be able to look at the decision again if you then think that it is wrong.

Ask us to reconsider

After receiving more information about the decision if you are still unhappy you can ask for your application to be reconsidered within a month. This request can either be made in writing or by calling the benefit team.

Your application will be reviewed by another officer who will check that it was correctly assessed and make any necessary changes.

If you receive a new decision notice and you still disagree you will need to begin the disputing process again by asking for further explanation.

Appeal a Housing Benefit decision

If you think our decision is wrong you can ask us to pass your case to an independent appeal tribunal. 

To do this you need to make an appeal in writing. You will need to state why you disagree with the decision and give any relevant evidence.

The tribunal will make a decision about your entitlement. This decision must be honoured by us and you.

For more information about questioning a benefits decision, email or call 01594 812531.

Appeal a Council Tax support decision

  • The appeal must be sent to us in writing and include the date of the decision you wish to challenge, why you think the decision is wrong and any other factors that we need to take into consideration.
  • We have two months to respond to the appeal. If we have not done so, please get in touch with us.
  • If we agree the decision is wrong, we will make corrections and send you a new decision notice and Council Tax bill.
  • If we believe that the decision is correct, we will notify you and you can then appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service within two months from the date that we respond to your appeal.