Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Business and licensing
  3. Apply or renew business licences and permits
  4. Organising public events

Organising public events

The organisation of any public event, regardless of its size or the numbers of people attending, requires careful planning to ensure the safety of the public.

Street parties and fetes

Street parties and fetes may require a licence and, if taking place on the highway, may need a road closure.

Organising small, private street parties or fetes is generally simple as they do not normally include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. However there are circumstances when you need to let us know about your plans.

The Government has issued practical step by step guidance for anyone looking to hold a street party:

Sharing alcoholic drinks with your neighbours at a private party does not require a licence. If you plan to sell alcohol you need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) which is a simple process but please apply in plenty of time and at least ten working days before the event. 

Apply for a TEN

Road closures for a street party

If you are organising a street party and would like to close the road, please fill in the following to apply for free: 

Other public events

Any event which involves any of the following may require a licence:

  • Sale of alcohol or food
  • The playing of amplified or live music

Read more and apply on our Licences for alcohol and entertainment page.

Helium balloons

We have decided to ban the release of helium balloons from Forest of Dean District Council owned land. We also discourage their use on non-council land because of the risks they pose to livestock and the environment.

Event safety

If you are holding an event, you will be legally responsible for the safety of anyone attending. Please read the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance on event safety.

Events on or affecting the public highway. If you are planning an event which you wish to hold on the public highway or which may have an impact on the public highway (such as increased traffic) please contact Gloucestershire County Council.

Event safety during Coronavirus restrictions

The law currently states that you must not meet in a group of more than six, indoors or outdoors, unless you have an exception. The police have powers to enforce these legal limits, including to issue fines of £200, doubling for further breaches up to a maximum of £6,400 and penalties on organisers up to £10,000.

Outdoor events that are organised by businesses, charitable organisations, and public bodies, are not restricted to any number of attendees provided:

(i) they have carried out a thorough risk assessment

(ii) they have taken all reasonable steps to mitigate the risk of viral transmission, taking into account that risk assessment, in line with Covid-19 Secure guidance

(iii) social distancing between different households or support bubbles, and between staff and performers, is maintained at all times.

In particular, those operating venues or running events following COVID-19 Secure guidelines should take additional steps to ensure the safety of the public and prevent gatherings of more than six people taking place within that event.

Indoor events must comply with the regulations and the usual standards of risk assessment for their premises. Guidance for multi-purpose community venues is available from GOV.UK.

Related Pages