Register a death
When someone dies you will need to report the death to many organisations and government departments.
Tell Us Once is a free service offered by HM Government. It enables you to report a death only once, telling central and local government services securely and confidentially without you having to inform them individually.
A short information video explaining the Tell Us Once service can be viewed via YouTube.
Many services can be notified and these include:
- the local council - to update services such as Council Housing, Housing Benefit, Council Tax, Blue Badge and remove the person from the Electoral Register
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax and to update regarding Child Benefit and Tax Credits claims (contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to update benefits information for example: State Pension, Universal Credit
- Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence and to remove registered keeper details, possibly for up to five vehicles
- Public Sector or Armed Forces Pension Schemes - to update pension records