Dogs lost and found
Report or claim a lost or stray dog
To report or claim a lost or stray dog:
- call 01594 810000 9am to 4.45pm Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.30pm on Friday
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you pick up a stray dog, we will collect it and take it to our council-appointed kennels. The owner will then have seven days to claim the dog. We will attempt to release a dog to the owner if a dog is microchipped and/or ownership can be proven.
Out of office hours
Kennels are open until 8pm Monday to Thursday and 6pm Friday to Sunday. Contact:
- Sling kennels on 01594 832536 or 07876 641854
- Littledean kennels on 01594 822296
Pick-up and release fees
If a dog is microchipped with up-to-date contact details we will get in touch with the owner to confirm we have their dog.
By law, we charge owners a fee of £25 for any dog picked up and released to them by a warden.
Microchipping and responsible dog ownership
It is a legal requirement that your dog is microchipped. Microchipping helps us reunite you with your pet quickly. If you would like one of our Street Wardens to micro-chip your dog:
- at your home for £15 per dog
- at the council offices in Coleford for £10 per dog
If you are thinking about owning a dog, or if you already have one:
- make sure that your dog is trained in basic obedience. Look for a local training class
- worm your dog about every four months, puppies more frequently. Ask your vet for advice
- clean up after your dog - bag it and bin it!
- make sure your dog has a collar and tag with your address details. This is a legal requirement and without it, you could be fined. Your telephone number and postcode are optional, but useful.
Download our dog owner's guide:
Dangerous dog incidents are dealt with by Gloucestershire Constabulary. To report an incident call the 101 non-emergency number