Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Environment
  3. Animals and wildlife
  4. Dogs lost and found

Dogs lost and found

Report or claim a lost or stray dog

To report or claim a lost or stray dog:

  • call 01594 810000 9am to 4.45pm Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.30pm on Friday
  • email

If you pick up a stray dog, we will collect it and take it to our council-appointed kennels. The owner will then have seven days to claim the dog.

Out of office hours

Kennels are open until 8pm Monday to Thursday and 6pm Friday to Sunday. Contact:

  • Sling kennels on 01594 832536 or 07876 641854
  • Littledean kennels on 01594 822296 

If a dog is microchipped with up-to-date contact details we will get in touch with the owner to confirm we have their dog. The quicker we can contact the owner, the lower the kennelling charges.

Kennelling charges for stray dogs

You will need to pay £30 plus an additional £10 per day as long as the dog is in Kennels.

Chipping dogs who do not have a chip is £15. You will also need to pay for any vets fees.

You must provide a description, personal identification and pay all outstanding costs. After seven days, if the dog has not been reunited with its owner it will be offered for adoption and found a suitable new home.

Dangerous dogs

Dangerous dog incidents are dealt with by Gloucestershire Constabulary. To report an incident call the 101 non-emergency number

Microchipping and responsible dog ownership

It is a legal requirement that your dog is microchipped. Microchipping helps us reunite you with your pet quickly. If you would like one of our Street Wardens to micro-chip your dog: 

  • at your home for £15 per dog
  • at the council offices in Coleford for £10 per dog

If you are thinking about owning a dog, or if you already have one:

  • make sure that your dog is trained in basic obedience. Look for a local training class
  • worm your dog about every four months, puppies more frequently. Ask your vet for advice
  • clean up after your dog - bag it and bin it!
  • make sure your dog has a collar and tag with your address details. This is a legal requirement and without it, you could be fined. Your telephone number and postcode are optional, but useful.

Download our dog owner's guide: