The owner of the land that the trees grow on is responsible for the tree. Contact the legal owner or speak to your housing association if you are a housing association tenant.
Report trees, hedges and other overgrown shrubbery overhanging footpaths and roads to Gloucestershire Council.
You do not need to apply for planning permission to plant trees. Make sure that you are not planting trees too near buildings as growing trees could damage foundations or deprive your neighbours of light.
Cutting down and pruning trees
You should check if the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or if it is in a Conservation Area before carrying out any work. In certain circumstances you may require a felling licence from the Forestry Commission.
If a tree is protected in any way, you will need to apply for our permission.
For trees which overhang your property or land you can cut it back to your boundary but you should inform the owner of the tree that you will be doing this and offer them the branches back. You also need to check if it is protected first.
If you think a tree is suffering from Ash dieback you can get advice on what to look for and how to report an infected tree on the Forestry Commission website.
Selecting a tree surgeon
A tree surgeon, sometimes described as an arboriculturist, arborist or arboricultural contractor, will do tree work to a specification.
- The Arboricultural Association(opens in a new window), which produces a list of approved contractors, can be contacted on 01242 522152.
- Get at least three written quotes.
- Tell the contractor when you would like the work to be done as quotes may only be valid for a certain time.
- Let the contractors know your decision be it acceptance or refusal.
- You should generally avoid door-knockers.
- The contractor should provide proof of at least £2 million Public Liability Insurance.
- Reputable contractors will be happy to answer all of your questions.
- Get the details of the work to be done and the agreed cost in writing.
- Ensure the tree debris is disposed of properly.