Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Planning and building
  3. Building regulations
  4. Apply for building regulations approval

Apply for building regulations approval

There are two types of building control you can apply for:

  • full plans application for major work which is suitable for all building work and needs full plans submitting. It takes between three to four weeks before you can start work
  • a building notice for minor work to let us know you are doing work, you will be able to start 48 hours after submitting it

For any queries and to get a quote call us on 01594 812315.

Fill out the building control application form and send it back to us by:

Apply for building regulations approval

If you are applying for full building control then you will also need to include all detailed plans, elevations and sections and technical notes, supporting calculations and specification.

You can pay the building regulations fees:

  • by calling 01594 810000 Mon to Thurs 9am to 4.45pm and Fri 9am to 4.30pm to pay by credit or debit card
  • by sending a cheque or postal order to Forest of Dean District Council, High Street, Coleford, GL16 8HG. Post-dated cheques are not accepted, do not send cash through the post
  • in person by cheque, credit or debit card at our Coleford offices
  • by BACS to Account No 00833506, Sort Code 30-91-87, Forest of Dean District Council

Quote Building control and your property address as a reference with any payments. A receipt will be sent with acknowledgement of the building regulations application

Competent persons scheme

The competent persons scheme means some types of building work can be self-certified instead of applying for approval.  Read more about the competent persons scheme and which organisations are part of it.

Work exempt from building regulations

Some work is exempt from building regulations. In some cases these works do not need building regulations approval. You should submit the relevant form and we will send you conformation that you are exempt, or an application form.

Partner Authority Scheme

The Partner Authority Scheme (PAS) allows you to choose which local authority you work with regardless of the location of your project.

If you want to apply for approval as part of this scheme use the partnership application form.