Household rubbish is collected each fortnight (usually on the alternate week to garden waste collections) and must be presented inside your council-issue black wheeled bin and be out ready at the kerbside by 7.30am on the day of your scheduled collection.
As long as your refuse is inside the bin it can be put in either loose or in bags. Please do not leave any sacks either beside or on top of your wheeled bin as these will not be collected. The lid of your bin must be shut for the safety of the collection crews.
Where a property cannot accommodate a wheeled bin (such as flats), we will supply you with 80 beige council-issue refuse sacks each year or a communal bin. These will only be issued once an assessment of your property has been undertaken by a Council officer.
What to put in your household rubbish bin:
- Sanitary products
- Crisp and sweet packets
- Bagged dog waste/cat litter
- Food pouches (foil lined)
- Yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, punnets and food trays
- Plastic films
- Garden waste
- Items which can be recycled at the kerbside (including food waste)
- Liquids (i.e. paint, oil. It is illegal to put paint in your bin. The spillage and damage to road surfaces are costly to clean and repair. Please ensure that paint and oils are disposed of properly)
- Trade waste (even if you operate a business from home)
- Building waste, rubble, soil or plasterboard (Plasterboard can be taken to the local HRC and put in the dedicated bank for disposal. It is illegal to put plasterboard in to landfill).
- Asbestos (Small amounts of households asbestos can be disposed of at the HRC. You must book in advance of your visit).
- Hot ashes (please allow ashes to cool completely before putting in your wheeled bin. Hot ashes can cause fires)
Household rubbish must be presented inside your black wheeled bin. You cannot put out sacks for collection. Rubbish left either beside or on top of the bin will not be collected. Excess waste can be taken to the Household Recycling Centres at:
- Oak Quarry (near Coleford) or
- Hempsted (near Gloucester)
You can buy beige council-issue refuse sacks from us for times when you may have a little extra rubbish.
Where there are mitigating circumstances residents may apply for an additional refuse bin. Applications are normally accepted by households which have six or more living at the property on a permanent and full-time basis or where medical circumstances mean that more unavoidable waste than normal is generated (such as incontinence pads, dressings). Larger households which have children using nappies throughout the day and night may also apply for a second bin however all applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and will take into account other factors, such as how many people currently reside at the property. To request an application form please contact the Customer Services Team on 01594 810000. Please note that you may be asked to provide proof to substantiate your application.
Disposable nappies can take up space in your bin. Reusable nappies are environmentally friendly and can save you money. You can also 'try before you buy.' For more information visit:
If your refuse is not collected please call our team on 01594 810000. Please report missed collections to us by 12.00pm the following day (or Monday if your collection was due on the preceding Friday) and we will endeavour to return to your property and pick up the missed waste as soon as possible. In such circumstances, please leave your refuse out at the kerbside so that we are able to collect it.
In the event of adverse weather disrupting services please ring 01594 812666 (recorded message) or visit our website for up to date information about your collections.
Sharp objects/broken glass
Please make sure that any sharp objects e.g. broken glass, kitchen knives, razor blades are double wrapped in paper. These items should then be placed within a container (i.e. such as an old plastic milk bottle) before being put in your refuse. If you have been allocated with the beige council-issue refuse sacks please mark clearly on the bag that it contains sharp objects.