Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Council tax and benefits
  3. Housing benefits and Universal Credit
  4. Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces these benefits and tax credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseekers’ allowance
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits

You cannot usually get any of these benefits or tax credits separately if you get Universal Credit. If you are already claiming at least one of these benefits or tax credits and your circumstances do not change, the DWP will transfer you onto Universal Credit at a later date. 

For help with housing costs you will need to apply directly to The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

How to apply

Universal Credit is claimed and managed online.

Apply for Universal Credit

How we can help

Universal Credit is run by the DWP and not us,  we are able to offer help with:

  • Council Tax Support to help people with their council tax bill
  • Discretionary Housing Payments to help people receiving Housing Costs paid through Universal Credit but are struggling to pay their rent, or need help with moving costs or rent in advance

Support managing your account online

If you are not confident using the internet there is a range of support available to you:

  • The Forest CAB provides digital support for any Universal Credit customer who requires assistance. You should ask your Work Coach when attending interviews at the Job Centre about a referral to this service
  • Gloucestershire’s Adult Education team has designed courses tailored specifically to help you manage your Universal Credit account
  • Learn My Way provides a number of free courses, tutorials on using a computer, browsing the web, using email and finding work online