Council tax support
You could be eligible for help with your council tax bill if you are on a low income or claim benefits. The help you could receive will depend on:
- your circumstances (income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
- your household income, this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you
Apply for council tax support
If you are receiving housing benefitApply for Council tax support online
If you cannot apply online for any reason download and return the form.
Check you have provided the evidence listed as your application cannot be processed without it.
If you are receiving Universal Credit
If you are currently claiming and receiving payments of Universal Credit you can claim Council Tax Support.
If you have just made a claim for Universal Credit and you are now waiting for their decision, please use the standard Benefit application form.
Check the evidence checklist on the back of the form.
When you will get a decision
We aim to decide complete applications within 14 days. If we need further information to support your claim we will contact you. Make sure we have a contact number on your claim form. This will speed up the processing of your claim. We will let you know when your claim has been assessed.
Backdating a claim
If you haven't been able to apply for benefits immediately we may be able to backdate your application
Second Adult Rebate
Second Adult Rebate is for single people who pay council tax but share their home with another adult aged 18 or over who is on a low income and does not pay rent.
To claim this rebate then the person or people sharing your home must not be:
- your partner (married or unmarried)
- under 18
- paying rent
- liable for the council tax
- a joint owner or joint tenant
- already disregarded for a discount on your council tax bill; for example you must not be getting a student discount of 25%
If you fit these circumstances you will need to fill in a Second Adult Rebate application form and return with the information listed on the form.