Council Tax Support
You could be eligible for help with your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income or claim benefits. The help you could receive will depend on:
- your circumstances (income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
- your household income, this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you
Apply for Council Tax Support
Evidence you will need to provide for you and your partner (if appropriate):
- Proof of identity – passport, driving licence, birth certificate, marriage certificate
- Proof of National Insurance number – payslip, benefit award letter
- Proof of Universal Credit – Full breakdown of the latest Universal Credit award
- Proof of benefits – latest award letter, bank statements
- Proof of earnings – last five weekly/three fortnightly/two monthly payslips
- Proof of self-employment – most recent set of audited accounts
- Proof of private pensions – payslips, bank statements
- Proof of capital – statements for all bank/building society/post office/PayPal accounts held showing balance & transactions for last two months, ISA statements, share/Premium Bond certificates
- Proof of non-dependant income – payslips, benefit award letters, full breakdown of Universal Credit award
All supporting evidence must be provided within one calendar month of the application being submitted otherwise the application will be made defective. Evidence can be uploaded when you submit your application or emailed to email@example.com or posted to the benefits team here at the council.Apply for Council Tax Support online
If you cannot apply online for any reason contact the benefit team on 01594 812531 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance
Check you have provided the evidence listed as your application cannot be processed without it.
We aim to decide complete applications with all required supporting evidence within 14 days. Make sure we have a contact number on your claim form. This will speed up the processing of your claim. We will let you know when your claim has been assessed.
Backdating a claim
If you haven't been able to apply for benefits immediately we may be able to backdate your application.
If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax you can apply for additional assistance from our Hardship Fund.Apply to the Hardship Fund
Second Adult Rebate for pension age customers
Second Adult Rebate is for single people, who have reached state pension age, who pay Council Tax but share their home with another adult aged 18 or over who is on a low income and does not pay rent.
To claim this rebate then the person or people sharing your home must not be:
- your partner (married or unmarried)
- under 18
- paying rent
- liable for the Council Tax
- a joint owner or joint tenant
- already disregarded for a discount on your Council Tax bill; for example you must not be getting a student discount of 25%
If you want to claim this benefit, please contact the benefit team on 01594 812531 or email email@example.com to request an application form.
External support agencies
For further help see our list of external support agencies.