Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Environment
  3. Flooding
  4. What to do during a flood

What to do during a flood

During a flooding incident there are a number of things you can do as a homeowner and support you can ask for from certain organisations. 

Who can help you

Different organisations have different responsibilities for helping people affected during flooding. Firstly you should always report a flood via the information on this page but you may also need to contact another service for support. Below is a list of which agency you should contact for different types of assistance.


What they are responsible for and support provided

Contact details

Gloucestershire County Council as the Lead Local Flood Authority Any flooding affecting property, roads or paths including flood prevention on highways from surface or groundwater.

See more information on the County Council’s role.

08000 514 514

Severn Trent Water
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
The local sewer system and any flooding that may affect them. Let them know if you have any issues with sewer water

Severn Trent - 0800 783 4444

Welsh Water - 0800 085 3968

Environment Agency Any flooding issues affecting main rivers. They are responsible for managing the flooding and flood prevention in those water courses

0345 988 1188

Gloucestershire Police and Gloucestershire Fire Service Supporting with closing roads and helping in the immediate response to a flood but have no statutory responsibilities for flooding

999 in an emergency or 101 in a non-emergency situation

Local parish council Your local parish council may provide flood support. Check with them for more information.  
Forest of Dean District Council If you need rehoming, contact friends and family, or your insurance company or landlord. If this isn’t possible we may be able help to rehome anyone who has to leave their home due to flooding.

01594 810 000

Local landowners It is the responsibility of land owners to maintain water courses on private land



We do not provide a sandbag service to residential or commercial properties.

You can buy sandbags from most local builders merchants in advance if you think your property may be at risk from flooding.

Property owners and occupiers are responsible for disposing of sandbags once the risk of flooding has subsided.

Flood protection products

There are many different types of equipment you can purchase which will offer different levels of protection to your home in the event of a flood. The National Flood Forum has produced an independent directory of flood protection products and services called the Blue Pages.

Forest of Dean District Council has been able to secure a limited number of flood defence items (Floodsax and HydroSnakes) that have been distributed to at-risk town and parish councils that requested them. These act as more effective alternatives to sandbags.

We do recommend you prepare your own defences so you can react quicker and more effectively. 

If your home is flooding

If you are in immediate danger call 999

You can listen to local radio for updates or call the Flood line on 0345 988 1188.

If water is entering your home:

  • make sure you have access to clean water
  • move essential items upstairs or out of reach of the water
  • turn off gas, electricity and water supplies when flood water is about to enter your home if safe to do so. Do not touch sources of electricity when standing in flood water

Travel during flooding

Do not walk through flooded areas, there may be hidden dangers such as open drains, damaged road surfaces, submerged debris or deep channels.

Do not try to drive through flooded roads or fords, the water is often deeper than it looks and your vehicle may be swept away or you may become stranded.

For the latest travel and transport information visit: