Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Council Tax and benefits
  3. Housing Benefit and Universal Credit
  4. Report a change in benefit circumstances

Report a change in benefit circumstances

Any benefits that are given are calculated using the information on your initial application form. If any of this information changes while you are still receiving benefit you must let us know within a month of the change, so we can recalculate your entitlement.

Please let us know if there are any changes to your situation including the following:

  • change in your income or the income of someone living with you
  • change in your tax credits
  • a new baby in the family
  • a new partner moves in
  • an increase in your rent
  • you move house
  • your savings increase

Report a change in circumstances

You can report a change in your situation online:

Report a change online

If you are not sure if you need to report a change, email making sure to include your claim number.

If you report a change within a month of it happening any increases in benefit will be paid from the Monday after the change.

If you do not report a change

If you do not report a change and it reduces the amount of benefits given there will be an overpayment on your application. We will then:

  • take the overpayment from your entitlement
  • agree a payment plan may be agreed with our overpayment team

If you fail to pay you could be summoned to appear in court.

If it is proved that you knowingly did not report the change, your application could be investigated for benefit fraud.

Claim review

As part of the Housing Benefit Award Accuracy initiative, we are inviting claimants to complete a review of their claim to ensure their entitlement is accurate. If you have received a letter from us asking you to complete an online review form, please fill in the following form:

Complete your Review Form

If you are unable to complete your review online, please contact the benefits team for assistance as per your letter of invitation.

External support agencies

For further help see our list of external support agencies.