Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Housing
  3. Private housing
  4. Housing grants

Housing grants

Disabled Facilities grant (DFG)

The Disabled Facilities Grant is for adaptations to give the disabled person more independence in and around their home and access to essential facilities. A grant up to £30,000 can be given. Adaptations range from ramps, stair lifts, replacing a bath with a shower to building a ground floor bathroom extension. 

If you are a housing association tenant who needs minor adaptations such as grab rails you can request this work directly from your landlord.

Request a Disability Facilities Grant

Contact relevant Social Services helpdesk to set up a visit and assessment by an Occupational Therapist

Grant assistance can only be considered once the council has received a referral from an Occupational Therapist so the first step to making a grant application is to phone the relevant helpdesk below and set up an Occupational Therapist assessment to see if they think adaptations would be necessary to meet the disabled person’s needs.

Adult Social Care

Telephone: 01452 426868
Email: Adult Social Care team
Website: Gloucestershire council social care

Children and families for disabled children up to 19 years

Telephone: 01452 426565
Email: Children's helpdesk
Website: Gloucestershire council social care

The Occupational Therapist will send the council a referral if they think adaptations are required to meet the medical needs of the disabled person

The Grant officer will contact the applicant to start the application process

Discretionary grants

Warm and well grant

Warm and Well is managed by Severn Wye Energy Agency for the six Local Authorities in Gloucester. The Ecoflex scheme under Warm and Well is available to private tenants and home owners and:

  • aims to reduce fuel poverty and associated health problems and improve energy efficiency in the home
  • offers grants for insulation, boilers and heating
  • offers the Renewable Energy Incentive which include health issues related to damp and cold
  • offers advice on reducing debt and increasing income

To find out if you are eligible phone 0800 5003076 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) or download the eligibility criteria.

If you have any questions email

Relocation grant

In some cases if adaptations are too costly or not feasible, we may need to consider rehousing to a more suitable property. There is a discretionary grant available from the council that could help with relocation costs and/or purchasing costs of a new property. For more information about rehousing to a housing association property visit the Homeseeker Plus website.

Apply to be listed in the contractors' and agents directory

If you're a local contractor in Gloucestershire and would like to apply to be listed in the directory for Gloucestershire fill in the online contractors' and agents form.


Related Pages