Report flooding

Call 999 for immediate assistance if there is a risk to life or a risk of serious property or environmental damage.

As well as contacting the relevant bodies listed below, please report all imminent flood situations or incidents of actual property flooding to:

  • either the County Council emergency response team or
  • the District Council emergency response team.

The County and District engineering teams will then also be made aware of the issue for future reference and action.

To report  Contact  Contact details
Burst water main or sewer flooding  Severn Trent Water

Emergencies (24hr): 0800 783 4444

Severn Trent water website

Burst water main or sewer flooding Welsh Water

Emergencies (24hr): 0800 085 3968

Welsh water website

Roads, blocked gullies, gratings and drains Gloucestershire County Council

08000 514514 (24 hrs)

Gloucestershire County Council website 

Main river flooding Environment Agency

General enquiries: 03708 506 506

Incident hotline (24hr): 0800 80 70 60

Environment Agency website

Flooding from other watercourses such as a stream or ditches Riparian owner

Report flooding and drainage problems

Forest of Dean District Council:01594 810000

Prepare for flooding

The Met Office flood warning service has three types of warnings that will help you prepare for flooding and take action known as flood warning codes. For help understanding flood warning codes visit:

You can also register for the Environment Agency's free flood warning service by:

Protect your home from flooding

For useful information on how to prepare for a flood visit:

For details of where to get flood protection products and services visit:

If you are affected by flooding and are in need of temporary accommodation:

  • call 01594 810000
  • or 0151 343 2942 out of hours


The Council does not provide a sandbag service to residential or commercial properties, however sandbags can be purchased from most builders’ merchants.

Building a sandbag wall

Sandbags are cloth bags that hold sand or soil so that a low wall can be built to dam the flow of water. Lay plastic sheeting under and around the wall to make it more water tight and use the sandbags to hold the plastic in place. Sandbags are only effective for water up to about 20cm/8" deep.

The Gloucestershire Local Resilience Forum have produced a video guide on how to effectively protect your property against flood water using sandbags:

Make your own sandbags

You can use the following as sandbags:

  • bin liners or carrier bags filled with soil
  • grow bags are the right shape and light enough to be carried around
  • buy products that inflate from the National Flood Forum directory (see Protect your home from flooding section above).

Property owners/occupiers should reuse or dispose of their own sandbags once the risk of flooding has subsided:

  • Empty and dry the sacks so they can be used again
  • Dig the sand into the garden to help with drainage.

Travel during flooding

Walking: Do not walk through flooded areas - there may be hidden dangers such as open drains, damaged road surfaces, submerged debris or deep channels.

Transport and travel: Do not try to drive through flooded roads or fords - the water is often deeper than it looks and your vehicle may be swept away or you may become stranded.

For the latest travel and transport information visit:

Clearing up after a flood

For useful information please see:

For health related queries:

Do not re-enter your house until all floodwater has been removed. The fire service may be able to help you with pumping floodwater out of your house but if the water is still rising, there is no point pumping out as it will only come straight back in. See: